PLEASE NOTE: We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone, video-conferencing, and tele-conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


Changes to non-parental guardianship law in Washington

On Behalf of | Mar 4, 2022 | Child Support |

The role of a guardian is delicate and requires competent people to follow up on government reporting. Those who are already credentialed as guardians only need to make adjustments during their next reporting letter. The new laws governing guardianships in Washington might apply directly to you. This is especially true if you have grandparents’ visitation rights and third-party custody. Making sure your filing is correct can be a way to protect your family.

Downloadable forms

The changes made to the filing process of guardianships can be uploaded through the Snohomish County website. The documents you specifically need are transferable via email and are printable on demand. Even if you have grandparents’ visitation rights and third-party custody, the steps you need to renew your registration can start with online forms.

Differences with guardians and conservators

Under new laws, a clearer distinction between a guardian and conservator is made. A conservator usually acts on behalf of someone, regardless of age, who’s lost competence. Guardians, however, have the responsibility of caring for children until they reach the legal age of an adult. Additionally, conservatorships are more commonly issued by a judge. Within guardianships, however, estate owners have ample leeway to choose their own guardians.

Grandparents’ visitation rights and third-party custody in Washington

Both guardianships and conservatorships are legal institutions that require verification and upkeep. No guardian or conservator can remain titled such when they’re negligent. For this reason, it’s of utmost importance to renew your letters of guardianship before you’re required to. Any of the changes that apply to you go into effect during your next renewal. A medical report is still required when you submit your renewal, and this includes your current place of residence.