PLEASE NOTE: We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone, video-conferencing, and tele-conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


Can I see my grandchild if my child has no visitation rights?

On Behalf of | Oct 7, 2019 | Firm News |

When your adult children get divorced in Washington, you may be feeling that as the grandparent you have no right to see their children without the consent of the parents. Unfortunately, the relationship between parents may not be conducive to grandparents obtaining the ability to see their grandchildren through their adult child. The parent may no longer have visitation rights to their child leaving you wondering what to do.

The Grandparents’ Rights of Washington State organization work to inform grandparents on your rights in the state. When you cannot go through your child to see your grandchildren, you do have other recourses through the court system. A new law signed into effect on March 22, 2018 allows you to seek visitation rights through the courts.

Governor Inslee signed the bill into law following the dismantling of the state’s visitation laws back in 2000. The U.S. Supreme Court thought the laws were too broad in Troxel v. Granville. By changing the broad law to allow relatives to seek visitation rights in the courts, you can now have legal access to see your separated grandchildren with a court order, if granted.

The GROWS organization works to educate grandparents on their rights to see their grandchildren. Reconnection with separated grandchildren can help you support and guide them. With all the statistics stating the importance and value of grandparents in the life of children, you now have an avenue to go around the separated parents to see your grandchildren. This is general information only and is not intended to provide legal advice.