PLEASE NOTE: We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone, video-conferencing, and tele-conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


Tips for maintaining amicable parenting relationship in divorce

On Behalf of | Dec 26, 2016 | Firm News |

Many former spouses are currently dealing with complicated family problems. Avoiding discord over child custody issues can be a challenging component of a Washington, D.C. divorce. The following tips may help concerned parents keep stress levels low and find agreeable middle grounds that keep children’s best interests at heart.

Most family counselors agree children need to feel a sense of security as they adapt to new lifestyles when their parents divorce. Parents who are able to control their own emotions and interact amicably with one another often find their children learn good problem-solving skills from their examples. Consequently, children who frequently witness their parents arguing or refusing to cooperate and compromise may experienced feelings of anxiety and instability as they confront difficult issues in their own lives.

Parents facing challenges regarding property division, real estate investments or business asset disclosure are wise to communicate directly with each other, rather than deliver messages through children or ask children to gather information regarding the other parent. Although the marriage is over, the parenting relationship continues, and it is surely the best approach to avoid making negative comments about a former spouse in front of one’s children. Generally speaking, a calm, child-focused attitude is best.

Some Washington parents may be unable resolve divorce issues if a former spouse refuses to cooperate. In such circumstances, an experienced family law attorney can help seek appropriate solutions in court. To begin the process, a concerned parent may request a consultation with an attorney in the area.

Source:, “Co-Parenting Tips for Divorced Parents: Making Joint Custody Work After a Separation or Divorce“, Accessed on Dec. 24, 2016