PLEASE NOTE: We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone, video-conferencing, and tele-conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


Seeking clarification on Washington child support guidelines

On Behalf of | Jul 29, 2016 | Firm News |

When a Washington couple who has children chooses to divorce, they often go through an important decision making process regarding their family’s future. Child support guidelines vary throughout the nation, and a concerned parent will want to seek clarification about the governing regulations in this state before pursuing the matter in court. Typically, whether a child’s parents were once married, or have never been married, they are still responsible for providing financial support, at least until that child reaches age 18.

During the divorce process, a parent may find a former spouse uncooperative when it comes to determining financial and other arrangements pertaining to the future care and upbringing of the children. How much money a non-custodial parent is ordered to pay for ongoing support of one or more children is a matter that a judge will decide. Of course, the number of children and the current income status of each parent may be taken into consideration to help devise an appropriate plan.

In some states, it is possible that parents may come to an agreement regarding child support outside the courtroom. However, it is likely that even under such circumstances, the court will review the plan in order to approve it before it becomes the basis of an actual child support order. It also sometimes happens that a parent may seek the court’s intervention to enforce an existing child support order if a problem arises concerning payments that are not being made.

There are often penalties for non-compliance of a court order that may include wage garnishments or monetary fines. For this and many other reasons, it is often crucial to gain a better understanding of Washington child support guidelines before trying to resolve issues that pertain to the topic. One of the easiest means for obtaining information is to contact a family law attorney for assistance.

Source:, “Child Support by Court Order“, Accessed on July 28, 2016